This sauce can be modified to fit the low carb/keto diet by substituting light brown sugar to your favorite light brown sugar alternative and by using sugar free ketchup.
This was my second attempt at making my own BBQ sauce and this is the recipe I am going to stick with! The name is inspired by my dog, Mate. It’s the perfect sauce for anything meat related, making it meats best friend 🙂
Ingredients I used:
– 1/3 cup grape seed oil
– 1/3 yellow onion
– 4 cloves of minced garlic
– 1 cup light brown sugar (or substitute for sugar alternative)
– 1 cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 cups sugar free ketchup (or regular)
– 5 dashed Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 tsp mustard powder
– 1 tsp salt + pepper
– 1 tbsp xanthan gum (for thickening)
– 1 tsp Oh Canada seasoning (linked below)
1 tsp All-Purpose BBQ seasoning (linked below)
– 1 tbsp Tennessee Smoke Seasoning (linked below)
– 1tbsp maple syrup
– 2 tbsp hickory liquid smoke
*I also used a secret ingredient to add more boldness but this wasn’t necessary
- Add grape seed oil into a pot and heat up, add in your diced onion until transparent then add in your garlic. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring while adding in everything individually. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and let simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add the hot mixture to a food processor or blending to puree – be very careful when adding a hot mixture to a blender or food processor. Always start slow and hold a towel over the top to prevent the liquid from exiting and burning you.
- Taste test to make sure you don’t need to add any extra salt+pepper.
- Let cool before putting into a jar (I prefer a glass jar)